REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief of Operations
The Life Skills Coach is responsible to provide Ujamaa Participants with:
- appropriate education & training through high context coaching relationships,
- providing primary source support and encouragement,
- tracking and holding participants accountable for progress toward program outcomes,
- teaching some curriculum modules,
- assisting with participant goal setting, and
- assisting in securing outside resources when needed and crisis intervention.
- Case Management
- Coach a caseload of Ujamaa Place participants.
- Maintain a professional communicative coaching relationship with participants.
- Participate in a motivated and success oriented environment for both staff and participants.
- Plan and execute special activities and events with staff and participants as necessary.
- Work with other organizations staff to raise awareness of Ujamaa Place.
- Organize and report accurate case management data and information to the Program Manager upon request.
- Meet with other coaches to discuss participant progress and/or concerns.
- Perform all other tasks and duties as assigned by the Program Manager/management team.
- Maintain emotional control under stress. Some travel (home/work program visits) is required in coaching situations; occasional prolonged and irregular hours. 11. Be willing to work flexible hours.
- Able to write succinct incident reports and objective case notes. 13. Strong communication skills.
Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with African-American males within the Ujamaa Place age demographic.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of African-American culture, traditions and history.
- Class facilitation skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must have experience working with disadvantaged populations and/or young people.
2. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
3. At least five (5) years related field experience.
4. Background in Social Service, Psychology, Sociology, and/or Human Services.
DESIRED PERSONAL QUALITIES:
1. Self-discipline and motivation.
2. Experience working with clients who have experienced trauma.
3. Ability to work independently and as a team.
4. Good written and oral communication skills.