What does a Ujamaa Place participant do while in the program
- The men apply and are accepted into a cohort/new class that starts monthly. They are immediately assigned to a coach, get into the Empowerment skills class and start working on the completion of their GED.
- The men come to the Ujamaa site/community 3-4 days a week for 2-4 hours a day for 4 to 8 months. The Ujamaa space is welcoming, afrocentric in feel and professional. The men feel accepted and comfortable in the space.
- They come to see that the real change for them must come from the inside out. They learn the skills on how to think, feel and act differently (in their best interests) through taking the Empowerment Skills classes.
- They meet with their Coach (all coaches are men of color with similar history) a couple times per week to get support, be challenged, establish a game plan for their success, review progress and learn how to solve life’s day-to-day problems. The coach has a high context relationship with the participant. This could be the first trusting relationship with an older black male they may have ever had.
- They take online GED classes with one-on-one tutoring from a GED teacher. In addition, they take keyboarding skills to help them maximize their computer use.
- They attend basic jobs skills class and learn how to do a job search leading to getting a job. This is done in groups and followed up with 1 on 1 help.
- They learn a range of life skills depending on their needs, e.g. getting a driver's license, working effectively with their parole officer, paying child support, how to manage their personal money, being a father, etc.
- They explore the development of their faith, where it is today, where they want it to be and what steps they will take to get there.
- They participate in a weekly men’s group to gain support and help from the instructor and fellow participants in dealing with the issues that are getting in the way of their success.
- After they have been in the program for a couple of months, they spend time helping the newer participants in ways that help them be successful in Ujamaa.
- Ujamaa continues a coaching relationship with the participant after graduating for up to 3 months to assure a positive transition to employment and/or the next training program.
If you are interested in enrolling in the program or would like to get involved with Ujamaa Place, contact us today!